Re: how to refer to xml elements when using the document() function

Subject: Re: how to refer to xml elements when using the document() function
From: Jiri Jirat <Jiri.Jirat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 08:15:10 +0100
Hello Teresa,
 try this (works with Saxon):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

<xsl:template match="/">
 <xsl:variable name="cmissions"><xsl:value-of select="document
('missions.xml')//missionspage/mission/country_code"/></xsl:variable>

 <xsl:message>
  Variable: <xsl:value-of select="$cmissions"/>
 </xsl:message>

</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

To see some functional examples, download
the XPointer or XLink tutorial from our site
and look at the XSLT:
http://www.zvon.org/index.php?nav_id=3

Best regards
Jirka

Teresa.Mairal-Barreu@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have been searching for the use of the document() function but I have
> found very little information and in some cases some of the examples didn't
> work when I tried them.
>
> I have to work with two different xml sources and I've been using document
> () but my question is what syntax to use to refer to individual elements
> belonging to 2 different input sources. I'm using xt and so far the only
> result I get is no result or the whole xml document is pasted into the
> output.
>
> I have tried:
>
>  <xsl:variable name="cmissions"><xsl:value-of select="document
> ('../missions/missions.xml',  /)"/></xsl:variable>
>
>  and then refer to elements in the following way:
>
> <xsl:value-of select="$cmissions/mission/country_code"/>. This gives me an
> "unable to resolve node-set error".
>
> I also need to get the contents of <misscity> for each <hom_country> ie
> hom_country_code and hom_country have to be compared and the corresponding
> city has to be part of the output. How do I refer to each hom_country and
> country_code?
>
> I'd appreciate it if you could help.
>
> homs.xml
> --------------
> <homs_list>
>    <hom>
>        <hom_type>abc</hom_type>
>        <hom_name>xyz</hom_name>
>        <hom_country_code>fr</hom_country_code>
>    </hom>
>    <hom>
>    </hom>
> <homs_list>
>
> missions.xml
> -------------------
> <missionspage>
>    <mission>
>       <country_code>fr</country_code>
>       <missaddress>
>          <misstreet>xyz</misstreet>
>         <misscity>abc</misscity>
>      </missaddress>
>    </mission>
>    <mission>
>    </mission>
> </missionspage>
>
> Teresa

> Teresa Mairal Barreu
> Public Diplomacy Division
> Images of Australia Branch
> International Media Strategies Section
> Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
>
> teresa.mairal-barreu@xxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.dfat.gov.au

 <name firstName="Jirka" surname="Jirat"/>
 <mail>     jiratj@xxxxxxxxx  </mail>
 <support>  http://www.zvon.org </support>