Re: how to ..

Subject: Re: how to ..
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 16:28:27 -0700 (MST)
Martin Giroux wrote:
> starting to understand the xslt and I wonder how the result would be looking
> like html formating.
> I am confuse between XSLT and XSL some how I believe you guys can help me
> out with some of your references

XSLFO defines a CSS-like vocabulary for formatting. It is not very useful
for creating HTML; rather, you might use XSLT to transform your XML into
XSLFO, and then run your XSLFO document through a rendering engine that is
intended to work with XSLFO. There are engines that convert XSLFO
documents to PDF documents, for example. There are no XSLFO engines for
web browsers, and I don't think anyone is seriously doing XSLFO-to-HTML
transformations, though to some extent it may be possible.

http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-xsl-20001121/slice1.html explains XSLFO
concepts in general, and the difference between XSLFO and XSLT.

If you just want to create HTML, you only need to use XSLT. Here is a
simple stylesheet for an XSLT engine to process:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
   <xsl:output method="html" indent="yes"/>
   <xsl:template match="/">
       <head>
          <title>hello world</title>
       </head>
         <h1>hello world</h1>
   </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Also, before you decide to use IE5 as your testbed, read
http://www.netcrucible.com/xslt/msxml-faq.htm and update your MSXML.

Or go get a command-line XSLT processor like Instant Saxon at
http://users.iclway.co.uk/mhkay/saxon/

   - Mike