Parsing copy-of result tree fragment

Subject: Parsing copy-of result tree fragment
From: Mike Mahoney <mmahoney@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:38:48 -0700
How does someone take a tree fragment from a copy-of and then turn
around and use the results and parse out/replace certain characters. If
I try to assign the results of the copy-of to a variable to work on, all
I'm left with is the text values. I need to have the entire tree
fragment but with a backslash inserted in front of any single-quote
characters.

I've tried using the search-replace methods that I've seen, but I don't
know how to feed the results of the copy-of to it. Maybe it would be
better to do the search/replace on the entire xml first and then do the
copy-of on those results, but I don't know how to reference the parsed
xml file and pass those results to the copy-of operation either.

If the original xml were
<object>
  <data1>
    <sub-data>
      joe's data
    </sub-data>
  </data1>
</object>

and the resulting fragment from the copy-of was
<sub-data>
  joe's data
</sub-data>

I'd want the final output to be