Re: Set Attribute or Element using XPath

Subject: Re: Set Attribute or Element using XPath
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:22:17 -0700 (MST)
Ayelet Kotzer wrote:
>   The question is - Can I set a value to an Element or an Attribute
> using the XPath  search mechanism ?

No, XPath provides a way to reference nodes in a tree that is implied by
an XML document, and it mandates functions that return objects of type
boolean, number, string, or node-set. i.e., it is 'read-only'.

Tree construction is handled by XSLT, which extends XPath by adding more
functions, another object type, an XML vocabulary with additional
semantics, and a processing model.

People want to call this construction 'transformation', but I think that's
really a misnomer, since you never actually modify anything. Instead, you
create a new node tree (or node tree fragments) that *may* be based upon
information that XPath expressions helped you obtain from the original
tree(s).

   - Mike