RE: [xsl] XSLT's Template Dispatch

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT's Template Dispatch
From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 17:42:06 -0000
> From: Clark C. Evans [mailto:cce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
>
>    The decoupling of select and match also allows a
>    processor to pre-compute the match expressions up-front.

This is true, but hardly likely to be a useful technique. I don't think many
stylesheets are likely to visit the same node more than once in the same
mode, and the space cost of adding an extra object reference to each node in
the tree (or worse, one object reference per mode) almost certainly exceeds
the time benefit. Since most practical match patterns are very simple,
pattern matching is not actually very time-consuming.

Mike Kay