RE: [xsl] Beware the count method with Muenchian grouping (was: Testing by counting or positional predicate)

Subject: RE: [xsl] Beware the count method with Muenchian grouping (was: Testing by counting or positional predicate)
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:18:28 -0000
Daniel Bowen wrote:

> > I did some time runs with MSXML 3.0 and Saxon 6.0.2 (with Sun JDK
> > 1.3) on Windows NT 4.0 Workstation with Sp5.

Thanks very much for collecting this data. It reveals that generate-id() in
Saxon, when using the "tinytree" tree model and a large source document, is
extremely (and quite unnecessarily) inefficient. This will be fixed!

A couple of points about the measurements:

- if you were using Instant Saxon, you were using Microsoft Java, not JDK
1.3 as stated. JDK 1.3 is generally 2-3 times faster.

- you can get timings from Saxon by using -t on the command line.

Saxon 6.1 shouldn't make any difference in this area.

Mike Kay