Re: [xsl] Can sets have order?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Can sets have order?
From: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:11:03 -0700

> > The pure mathematician (David) wins that point.
>
> OK if you turn up in Oxford, I'll buy you a beer:-)
>
> > The reason I objected to David's going on about sets not having order is that
> > he seemed to be claiming that node sets do not have order.
>
> I didn't just seem to be, I was!
>

> I find it much easier to understand XSL semantics for myself, and to
> explain them to others, if I take this point of view.
> I think the original confusion in the "nearest ancester thread" came
> about precisely because people were not thinking in this way.

With this, and after carefully browsing the XPath spec, I'm agreed.

Game. Set. Match.

I'd never really thought clearly about this, and I responded without pausing
to think clearly.  I'd say I won't do it again, but I'd be lying.

The funny part is that I (and colleagues) spent a considerable time pounding
my head over the spec's obtuse wording with regard to reverse axes and
proximity position in implementing (or rather fixing 4XPath months ago.)

At that point I think it was actually made it easier for me to think of the
node set in terms of having an intrinsic order.  The proof of it is in
4XPath's implementation, which I'm pretty sure gets that mess quite right.

uche.ogbuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               +1 303 583 9900 x 101