RE: [xsl] International Characters in attributes

Subject: RE: [xsl] International Characters in attributes
From: "Michael Storm" <Mstorm@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 11:45:42 -0800
>You might want to output HTML in iso-8859-1 rather than utf-8.

That definitely solves the problem, however, I am not able to hardcode the
encoding type into the XSL, since the application could be viewed by two or
more different viewers at the same time (possiby one viewing a french
version, and another in japanese and another in english). If I set the
encoding in the xsl, its going to force iso-8859-1 output type on the
japanese user, and english user alike. I tried haveing the application
supply a global variable teling the xsl which encoding type to use, but when
I use : <xsl:output encoding="$encode_type"/> the Java VM says that it
doesn't support encoding type "$encode_type". Is there a way to evaulate a
variable like that in the encoding attribute, some extension perhaps for
XALAN?
 I'm extremely unfamiliar with how all this encoding works, so maybe I'm
missing something here.