RE: [xsl] International Characters in attributes

Subject: RE: [xsl] International Characters in attributes
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 22:06:06 -0000
> >You might want to output HTML in iso-8859-1 rather than utf-8.
>
> That definitely solves the problem, however, I am not able to
> hardcode the
> encoding type into the XSL, since the application could be
> viewed by two or
> more different viewers at the same time

Two points. Firstly, the encoding only affects what happens when you "view
source" on the HTML, it doesn't affect what is displayed by the browser.
Secondly, Xalan (at v2) uses the TrAX API, which allows you to set output
properties such as encoding from the application (using setOutputProperty()
on the Transformer object). This gets round the fact that the encoding
specified in xsl:output must be a constant.

Mike Kay