RE: [xsl] XSLT 1.1 comments

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT 1.1 comments
From: DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:16:59 -0000
David Carlisle
me
> > I would however have liked to see Mike Kay's and David
> Carlisles responses
> > to some of the other requests for 'extensions to do X'.
> Listening on this
> > list
> > it would appear that most of the problems can be answered
> by their level of
> > expertise. I fear you may have been misled by users lack of
> expertise.
>
> Ah, but I don't promise to provide a service producing arcane XSLT
> tricks for ever, so I'm not sure this argument holds.

I think the general point does. That a lot of what has been requested
could be implemented by a higher degree of user skill/understanding?

> However I really do miss a common namespace for built in extensions.
> just about everyone had  xxx:node-set() xx:document() extensions
> in XSLT 1.0. They go away for 1.1 which is a good thing, but it looks
> like xxx:evaluate() xxx:difference() etc will be similarly widely
> distributed.

I'm beginning to see something of a blur here. Was it James or Mike Brown
that wanted clear seperation?
xxx:difference() may/may not be a common requirement, as xxx:document()
most certainly was.
Is this method a way of bringing in common requirements gradually,
without opening the floodgates to a gp language?

 My solution to 'specials' has been to keep my gp language add-ons
outside the stylesheet, having the additional code linked in using 1.0
methods.
When sufficient people want specials, thats the time to bring them in,
and at the moment I'd prefer than as xsl:something, i.e. specific
functions that are well understood and requested by the user community,
rather than as xxx:script.

David C.
> However having spent some time courtesy of the evil empire, I
> would say
> that when using a scripting language it definitely _is_
> convenient to be
> able to inline the code for small extension functions in msxml:script.

Yes, convenient, but how to 'standardise'? Or even define 'small' ?
Im still -1 on script included within the stylesheet.

Regards DaveP