[xsl] Re: empty element sabotages xsl:key

Subject: [xsl] Re: empty element sabotages xsl:key
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 01:52:10 -0800 (PST)
Hi Nick,

I ran your example with MSXML3 -- no problems at all.

With Saxon 5.4 (which uses Xerces)no output was produced.
I know 5.4 is rather old version, but this is what I have.

> Is it illegal for an attribute to be set to null?
>
> <OUTSYSNUMBER CODE=""></OUTSYSNUMBER>

No, it's OK.

Dimitre Novatchev.

Nick Ridout wrote:

Just wondered if anyone could explain this?  I was getting results with
key
() that I couldn't understand, and after much hair-pulling decided to
ask
here.  I deleted a bunch of lines from my input XML so it would be
short
enough to post, and all of a sudden key() started working.  So I played
with it until I found an element that, when present, appeared to
sabotage
<xsl:key>. Is it illegal for an attribute to be set to null?

<OUTSYSNUMBER CODE=""></OUTSYSNUMBER>

I admit to being backleveled.  I think I'm running Xerces 1.0.3
(Xalan.jar
and Xerces.jar that came with LotusXSL 1.0.1).