Re: [xsl] moving thru nodes

Subject: Re: [xsl] moving thru nodes
From: "Michael Beddow" <mbnospam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 09:28:59 -0000
On Thursday, February 15, 2001 12:57 AM
Rosa I-Ting Cheng wrote:

> Can anyone please tell whether I can get out of a node once I'm into
it?!
> eg:
[...]
> does this
> parent::one/five/six
> mean I go to the node or just refering to that node?

I'm not clear, without more context, what distinction you're making
between "going to" and "referring to".

parent::one/five/six is just an XPath expression. What it "does"
depends on where why and how its evaluated. If you use in in a select
it will make six the new current node and therefore the new context
node. If used in, say an XPointer it will indeed "take you" to that
location in the target document.

But in general, I think you've got the idea. From wherever you "are"
(your current context is) you can construct an XPath by a series of
steps that will lead you (with or without axis changes) to where you
want to "go" or "be". But "go"  and "be" are here  pretty ambiguous
terms.

Michael