Re: [xsl] xsl:script and side-effects

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl:script and side-effects
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:16:36 GMT
> The introduction of <xsl:script> raises the possibility
> that evaluating an XPATH expression may produce side-effects.

No. That possibility is already in XSL 1.0.
Extension functions may cause side effects.

xsl:script only offers a standard mechanism for binding extension
function names to implementations, it doesn't change what an extension
function can do.

> The XSLT Rec ought to at least mention this as an issue.
I thought it did (Mike Kay's book certainly does) but I just had a quick
look and didn't spot anything explicit. But either way this is an issue
already in XSL 1.0 not with xsl:script.

David