Re: [xsl] Rescuing XSLT from Niche Status

Subject: Re: [xsl] Rescuing XSLT from Niche Status
From: "Steve Muench" <Steve.Muench@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 13:28:14 -0800
| I think that this is defeating the message that was being relayed by the
| paper.  The idea was to leverage currently accessible and widely used
| structures like HTML to learn XSLT.  However, if you were to cut things down
| to the <HTML></HTML> stuff given in the example, people are going to learn
| this and then have a problem unlearning it in order to use multiple
| templates.  Yes, starting out with the outer XSLT stuff might be more
| cumbersome, it's only slightly moreso and will definitely be more beneficial
| than a method of oversimplification like the <HTML></HTML> stuff.

I agree you need to enable that smooth transition from
single template to multiple templates.

I offer a cut at explaining the "Single Template" stylesheet
and why its worthwhile to move on from that to the multiple
template stylesheets in Chapter 7 of my book that is about
XSLT basics. It's available for free reading on O'Reilly's web
site in HTML or PDF formats.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orxmlapp/chapter/index.html

In my opinion, it's all about understanding *why* you should
apply a technique, as opposed to learning by rote that
"you do it this way, just because..."