Re: [xsl] Rescuing XSLT from Niche Status

Subject: Re: [xsl] Rescuing XSLT from Niche Status
From: "Jacobs,David B." <djacobs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:46:17 -1000
Thanks for everyone's responses.  It has definitely helped deepen and refine
my understanding of XSLT.  I hope I haven't generated any ill will with my
vigorous responses.  I've been following XSLT for some time now and have
been frustrated by its slow adoption in the web application realm and am
looking for ways to improve that situation.

I still think that it is helpful for beginners to think of the '/' template
as the "layout" or "controller" template.  Again remember my web application
/ HTML focus not real complex XML documents.  I have been convinced though
that once a person understands how to use the '/' template it would be
useful to quickly migrate them towards moving element formatting into their
own templates using modes as you suggest, while keeping the '/' template for
controlling the overall layout/organization of the document.  I think this
maintains the smooth learning curve I trying to achieve.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.  I really appreciate it.

David