Re: [xsl] Rescuing XSLT from Niche Status

Subject: Re: [xsl] Rescuing XSLT from Niche Status
From: "Michael Beddow" <mbnospam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 13:46:08 -0000
On Friday, February 16, 2001 9:52 PM
Sebastian Rahtz wrote:

> but it seems to me that it takes *longer* to get output. I teach the
> subject by saying "let everything fall through the defaults and see
> what happens". that way, you get all the input in the output. In the
> Jacobs method, you get nothing in the output by default. I find this
> deeply weird.

Recall that in the old XSL that shipped with IE5, the default
templates behaved in the reverse way. They produced no output and you
had to add in what you wanted by specific templates. Maybe that was to
make it look more like a conventional HTML scripting language. And
still, thousands of people every week think they'll give this thing a
try, use the old XSL and the old namespace and give up when their
sheet eats all their input. *They* are the sort of people who then say
"Wow, you can get XSLT to work?!" not knowing they've never actually
used XSLT themselves at all.

Michael