Re: Designs for XSLT functions (Was: Re: [xsl] RE: syntax sugar for call-template)

Subject: Re: Designs for XSLT functions (Was: Re: [xsl] RE: syntax sugar for call-template)
From: "Steve Muench" <Steve.Muench@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 23:07:01 -0800
Jenny,

| But I have faith that if
| we come up with a well-thought-out proposal then at least some
| implementers will come on board.

Would it be useful to take Michael Kay's "spec" for
<saxon:function> as a strawman proposal to start with:

http://users.iclway.co.uk/mhkay/saxon/saxon6.2/extensions.html#saxon:function

I think clearly separating the specification of the abilities:

  -> to statically define and statically
     invoke functions in XSLT, and

  -> to dynamically invoke functions

would be useful. Some implementors may be interested in
the former, but not the latter, or vice versa.