[xsl] Fw: repeat: XSLT 2.0 Req: Serial transforms (possibly dup of xsl:apply-transform request)

Subject: [xsl] Fw: repeat: XSLT 2.0 Req: Serial transforms (possibly dup of xsl:apply-transform request)
From: "Curt Arnold" <carnold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 12:25:21 -0600
I'm repeating this message that I sent earlier to the xsl-editors list, it
didn't make the archive so I may be a victim of its spam filter.
-----------------

This may be a duplicate of the functionality that Ricardo Amador & M.Manuel
Cabrita suggested (in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xsl-editors/2001JanMar/0093.html).
However since I didn't fully understand their suggestion and didn't see a
corresponding issue in the XSLT 2.0 requirements list, I'll state the
particulars of my usage.

In the development of the XML Schema Compiler
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/xsdcomp), I found it necessary to do the
transformation from the source XML Schema to the "compiled" version as a
series of transforms.  The first transform resolved the included content,
the second resolved qname references, and so forth in a manner very similar
to the passes in a multipass compiler.  Each pass operated on the output of
the preceding pass.  So, if you were driving it from the command line you
would have something like:

saxon -o temp1.xml source.xsd preprocessor.xsl
saxon -o temp2.xml temp1.xml pass1.xsl
saxon -o temp3.xml temp2.xml pass2.xsl
saxon -o temp4.xml temp3.xml pass3.xsl
saxon -o output.xml temp4.xml optimize.xsl

It would be beneficial if this type of serial transformation could be
described in XSLT 2.0 so that the overall transformation process could be
communicated via a binding between the source document and a single XSL file
in case you wanted to perform the overall transformation on the client side.

p.s. Francis Norton suggested that it might be covered by the exsl
initiative, however I didn't see it.