[xsl] Re: Coordination of script in XHTML, SVG, and XSLT 1.1 (aka RDDL as a delivery vehicle...)

Subject: [xsl] Re: Coordination of script in XHTML, SVG, and XSLT 1.1 (aka RDDL as a delivery vehicle...)
From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 07:58:15 -0500
At 10:00 AM +0100 3/4/01, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

Current implementations use a type attribute to identify the used
language. This attribute takes a valid MIME type. One major problem is,
that _there are no MIME types_ registered for common scripting
languages. I tried to change that and contacted several entities asking
for help. I had no success:

This is not as big a problem as you make out. Although standard types like text/javascript or application/vbscript would be a win, there are multiple options:

1. Start an RFC to define these types ourselves.

2. Use vendor types like application/vnd.w3c.javascript

3. Use x-types like x-script/x-javascript

If using MIME media types to identify scripting languages is a good idea (and I think it is) then registering an appropriate type is not that hard. RFC 3023, XML Media Types, <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3023.html>, was put together by a an informal group of interested individuals. It was not pushed by the W3C.

| Elliotte Rusty Harold | elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | Writer/Programmer |
|                  The XML Bible (IDG Books, 1999)                   |
|              http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/               |
|   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0764532367/cafeaulaitA/   |