[xsl] ANN: example of server-side xslt on a shoestring with i18n data

Subject: [xsl] ANN: example of server-side xslt on a shoestring with i18n data
From: "Michael Beddow" <mbnospam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 07:56:58 -0000
I have just handed over a project that may be of  interest
to some list members.

The entry point for the site itself is http://www.acmuller.net/
There are some semi-technical notes on the project on my site at
http://www.mbeddow.net/xml/technotes1.html

Main technical points:
1) Runs on a standard web hosting account, where there's no
possibility of using Cocoon or most pieces of Axkit.
2) Retrieves entries by id from core xml files using (very)
stripped-down subset of XPointer+XPath proposals
3) Renders into html after fragment retrieval on the fly (Xalan C++)
4) Demonstrates what utf-8 makes possible where it's really needed.
5) Pre-existing data married to custom delivery platform in very short
time: inconceivable without xml (and xslt)

Anybody wanting more of a peep under the hood than I provide in my
on-site notes, just email me.

You need pretty hefty Unicode support to see all the Chinese,
Japanese, Korean and Sanskrit. Currently only IE5.x on W2K has all the
necessary character glyphs and IME's out of the box. Not a problem for
users in the target group on other platforms/browsers, 'cos they
already have the necessary customisations, but don't expect to see
things displaying properly with US/European versions of anything other
than IE5.x

Michael