RE: [xsl] splitting one xml into many xml documents using xsl

Subject: RE: [xsl] splitting one xml into many xml documents using xsl
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:29:40 -0000
> > What is a reasonable alternative, though, is to write a
> splitting SAX filter
> > to process the output: most Java processors will write output to a
> > user-supplied ContentHandler, and you can insert a
> processing instruction
> > into the event stream to cause this to switch output to a
> new destination.
>
> Would such a content handler be portable between various versions of
> Saxon, Xalan-1 and Xalan-2?

Yes, I would think so. In fact I think you can do this entirely within the
TrAX interface, so the whole application should be portable between Saxon
and Xalan: just wrap your SAX2 ContentHandler as a SAXResult and pass it as
the second argument of transform(source, result).

> Apart from this: How do i create directories in a java
> program without the
> additional pain of searching for apropriate libraries or
> resorting to JNI?

It's not difficult in JDK 1.2, though it's trickier with earlier versions.
You'll find code in the Saxon module com.icl.saxon.style.XSLDocument that
does it.

Mike Kay
Software AG