Re: [xsl] Functional programming in XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] Functional programming in XSLT
From: Jeni Tennison <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 05:07:34 +0000
Hi Mike,

>> Alexey Gokhberg wrote:
>> The current proposal for <exsl:function> does not conform to this
>> rule. In particular, the <exsl:result> feature, with all rules
>> governing its use, looks a little bit odd for me.
>
> You're being polite, I think it's weird! Your <uxsl:define>, I
> think, is very close to my <saxon:function>.

Which are the bits that you think are particularly weird/hard to
implement/bound to cause trouble to newcomers to XSLT?

Personally, I think quite a lot of complication is added for very
little gain by allowing the template content of exsl:function to
generate result nodes, i.e. allowing:

<exsl:function name="foo">
   <foo />
</exsl:function>

as a shorthand for:

<exsl:function name="foo">
   <exsl:result><foo /></exsl:result>
</exsl:function>

The only other big difference with saxon:return (as I see it) is the
fact that exsl:result is allowed within xsl:for-each, but that makes
some things (e.g. keys in different documents) a lot easier.

But perhaps there's something more?

Cheers,

Jeni

---