Re: [xsl] Transformation of binary data

Subject: Re: [xsl] Transformation of binary data
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:36:01 -0700 (MST)
Rob Coon wrote:
> I have an XML document with one tag having binary data base64 encoded
> ( I  found an article on perfectxml about how to convert binary to base64)
> - now, I would like to know how can I apply stylesheet (XSL) on that
> XML file and get that binary data back.

You might be able to use an extension function to pass the base64 encoded
text to an external implementation which can decode and dispose of it as a
side effect, or even return it as an object. But even so, you won't be
able to embed that data in the serialized output produced by the XSLT
process. The transformation, even in with the "text" output method, will
only produce output based on the abstract node tree that is constructed,
and you can't put binary data in that tree.

   - Mike