Re: [xsl] xml to html paragraphing

Subject: Re: [xsl] xml to html paragraphing
From: "Java XML" <jaxlive@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:45:43 -0500
Hi Peter,
But i have the para tags in within the text of the element so there is not need to worry about inserting the tags but now my problem is when i generate an html the tags are show as &lt;p&gt;
thats the problem now is there a way so that i can output the tags as it is and these tags are in the cdata section of the element is ther a way to disable the escaping...

From: Peter Flynn <peter@xxxxxxxxxxx> Reply-To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx To: xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [xsl] xml to html paragraphing Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:24:26 +0100

At Thursday, 29 March 2001, you wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>            Is there a way to preserve the paragraph structure using
xslt in
>the resulting output html document because i have a well formed
xml document
>with a text field

XML doesn't have "fields". Do you mean an element type named "text"?

>and it is divided into paragraphs but when i generate a
>html out of it i cannot maintain the paragraph structure in the
resulting
>html so is there a way to preserve the paragraph structure even in the
>resulting structure i used

If you're talking about preserving embedded newlines and tabs, no.
That is not paragraph structure as seen by XML. As ?David said
earlier, if your text guarantees to use only (for example) CR LF TAB
for its "paragraphs", then you may be able to rig up some kind of
interpretation but it won't be XML.

If you want XML to handle what you are calling "paragraphs" then
they MUST be marked up properly. If you want to convert text with
ASCII-indent paragraphs, use a processor like Omnimark, which
has a pattern-matching language specifically for doing this kind of
thing, eg to intrude an end-tag followed by a new start-tag:

   find "%n%n" white-space+
      output "</para>%n<para>"

Then process the resulting file with XSL.

///Peter