RE: [xsl] MSXML4

Subject: RE: [xsl] MSXML4
From: "Chris Bayes" <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:41:24 +0100
Robert,

>Your MSXML sniffer (available at
>http://www.bayes.co.uk/xml/index.xml) seems
>to indicate that I have version 4 installed but that I'm running in replace
>V3 mode.

Yes because there isn't an xmlinst for V4

>How is it possible to run version 4 in replace mode?

You have to do the same thing that xmlinst does but manualy.
Run xmlinst to remove all xmls
xmlinst /u
Rightclick on msxml.dll and register or >regsvr32 msxml.dll
You now have your registry in a basic state
Open the registry editor and look for all occurances of Microsoft.XMLDOM
Export the keys to a file
Rightclick on msxml3.dll and register or >regsvr32 msxml3.dll
Run xmlinst
Open the registry editor and look for all occurances of Microsoft.XMLDOM
You will notice that it has changed HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Microsoft.XMLDOM\CLSID
to 2933BF90-7B36-11d2-B20E-00C04F983E60 (msxml3) etc.
So in theory all you have to do is change it to
88d969c0-f192-11d4-a65f-0040963251e5 (msxml4) etc. and ie will use msxml4.
To see what else xmlinst does you can use
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml to monitor the
registry changes while it runs. The output looks very complicated but if you
look closely it isn't.
Once you see what it is doing to replace msxml with msxml3 all you have to
do is repeat the same steps but change references to msxml3 to msxml4.
Of course it would all be a lot easier if microsoft just provided an
xmlinst4!!!

Ciao Chris
p.s. If enough people want this i will create an xmlinst4.reg and stick it
on my site.

XML/XSL Portal
http://www.bayes.co.uk/xml