[xsl] XSL lint

Subject: [xsl] XSL lint
From: Joerg Pietschmann <joerg.pietschmann@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 08:39:26 +0200
Mike Kay wrote:
> >    So what are the XSLT equivalents of C "if (a = b) ..."
[snip]

> I'd suggest a couple:
>
> <xsl:sort> where the sort expression is not dependent on the context node,
> for example
> <xsl:sort select="$param"/>
>
> <xsl:for-each select="item">
>    <xsl:value-of select="item"/>
>
> Trouble is, of course, it might just be correct.
>
> Mike Kay

I'd like to see XSL processers (or XSL lint-like tools) to look at an
associated DTD or XSD in order to catch this kind of errors.
This deals also with the problem of renaming an element in the XML during
development and not changing all xpath in the XSL referring to this
element. Such errors may persist for a long time until caught, as
i had to learn the hard way.

To be more elaborate, I'd like the XSL processor to emit a warning if
there is a DTD associated with the source XML and it doesn't mention
an item child element of the item element in Mr. Kay's example above.

J.Pietschmann