Re: [xsl] Converting linebreaks

Subject: Re: [xsl] Converting linebreaks
From: Mike Brown <mike@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 11:44:24 -0600 (MDT)
Oleg Tkachenko wrote:
> I'm interested,  if there is any mention about this permission in specs ? XML 1.0 spec says something opposite:
> "An XML processor must always pass all characters in a document that are not markup through to the application. "

This is correct; the parser should not be discarding white space, but it
must say whether the white space characters are significant (must be
preserved). The application may choose to ignore the characters that
don't need to be preserved.

It becomes messy with the DOM because it's not crystal clear where the
XML processor (parser) ends and the application begins.

   - Mike