Re: [xsl] Ordering of Blocks based on Input/Output

Subject: Re: [xsl] Ordering of Blocks based on Input/Output
From: Dan Diebolt <dandiebolt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 05:27:32 -0700 (PDT)
F>     <xsl:if test="count($todo) > 0">
I>This test does the same as test="$todo", which is
I>much more efficient for larger data

Good point. Another optimizatioin is process all blocks
that have their inputs already available - not just the
first one:

<!-- find first block $todo that has no inputs
   from any (other) block in $todo -->
<xsl:variable name="next"
   select="$todo[. != $into/output/@block][1]"/>

Francis picked this up with his second version which
also introduced a key:

<!-- find all blocks in $todo that have no inputs
   from the outputs of any (other) block in $todo -->
<xsl:variable name="next" select="$todo[. !=
   $into/output/@block]"/>

I have to perform quite a few tests to come to a conclusion,
but let me ask: what optimizations are likely to be performed
by the XSLT processor? Are there general constructs that
should be avoided?

Regards,

Dan