[xsl] Conditional Assigining

Subject: [xsl] Conditional Assigining
From: "Sri ni" <srini75@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 15:48:24 -0000
Team,

<xsl:variable name="ID">-1</xsl:variable>
<xsl:for-each select="Section[parentID='0']">
	<xsl:if test="$ID=-1">
		<xsl:variable name="ID" select="sectionID" />
	</xsl:if>
id <xsl:value-of select="$ID"/>

Output:
id = -1.  In the first instance.

Please have a look on the above XML. The scope of the ID is getting lost once i get exit from the if loop which is not i want. The value of the global variable ID has to be set inside IF and then that should be visible to outer functions as well.

All i want is similar to this one. int x = 0; while ( true) { if ( x == 0 ){ x = 1; } x = 2; }

When the loop starts executing first time it will take the value from the sectionID and from the next time onwards i shall give the value for the variable id. Is that possible to do in XSL??

Can anyone help me out please???

Cheers
Srini