Re: [xsl] Referencing nodes from an out-of-scope xsl:for-each loop

Subject: Re: [xsl] Referencing nodes from an out-of-scope xsl:for-each loop
From: Jeni Tennison <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 08:16:41 +0100
Hi Joel,

> Currently, I <xsl:for-each> through the collection of <row> nodes,
> and then <xsl:for-each> through each of the <column>s for each row.
> The problem is, I have a <xsl:template match="sql-field"> template
> which matches the <sql-field> tags within the <column> tags. But I
> don't know how to get that template to "know" which row it is
> currently on. I tried using <xsl:variable> but I'm being told that,
> within the sql-field template, the variable is out of scope.

You need to pass a parameter into the template.  In the template, you
need to define the parameter that you're expecting, and you can give a
default value for it if you want:

<xsl:template match="sql-field">
   <xsl:param name="row" select="/.." />

(This sets the default to an empty node set - that's the default I
usually use when I'm expecting the template to be passed a node set.)

When you apply templates to sql-field, you need to pass the row in
with the parameter:

   <xsl:apply-templates select="sql-field">
      <xsl:with-param name="row" select="$row" />
   </xsl:apply-templates>

One thing that you should be careful of here is that parameters are
only passed if they're *explicitly* passed from template to template -
it's very easy to lose them accidentally if you use the built-in
templates to get some default processing.  So for example if you
applied templates to the column rather than the sql-field, and didn't
have a template for the column that accepted and passed on the $row
parameter, then you'd lose it.

I hope that helps,

Jeni

---