Re: [xsl] Brainbench XSL test and certification overall

Subject: Re: [xsl] Brainbench XSL test and certification overall
From: tcn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Trevor Nash)
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 09:31:20 GMT
>- what do all think about such XSL test and certification overall? I think
>Brainbench's one is the first world-wide for XSL technologies and I for sure
>will probably get more perceived value in the eyes of my clients for having
>such certification. What about XSL classes (if they are available yet) at
>let say well known companies or at online learning centers? Do these
>certifications have any value for clients/customers?

As a potential employer / client, these tests have two problems for me
(I say this as someone who has recruited in the past, and who has been
through the MCSD route):

a) I am usually looking for rather more than just knowledge of one
particular subject.  I want to know you understand the relationship
with other things used on the same project.  Do you know when to use
XSLT and when *not* to use it, and in that case what is the better
tool for th job?  It is experience that gives you this, not book
learning.  Tests like this prove nothing.

b) These tests are never around long before someone starts running
courses aimed specifically at passing them.  And worse, people start
putting up web sites with the answers.  This leaves me with the
problem of weeding out those who did the boot camp / cribbed the
answers from those who actually know something.

I think your time would be much better spent producing some real code
which solves a real problem.  Pick something which needs all your
skills, and be prepared to answer questions about why you did it the
way you did, and what alternatives you considered.

I guess having such 'qualifications' does no harm, provided you do not
think they are some sort of passport.

>Disclaimer: I am not in any way affiliated with Brainbench.

Me either, in case you wondered ;-)

Trevor Nash