[xsl] Control over html output

Subject: [xsl] Control over html output
From: "Andy Joslin" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 00:18:42 -0000
Hi

Apologies if this topic has already been covered elsewhere but if so, I
can't seem to find it...

I'm currently using XSLT to output to html (xalan 2), and I'd like to have
more control over the resulting html that is delivered to the browser after
if has been processed.

For example, a code section like this:

gets transformed to this...

In this case the linebreak causes undesirable whitespace to appear in the
resulting document in certain browsers. At the moment I'm having to rely on
the rather crude solution of setting the html output indent to "no" to avoid
this, but this seems a rather inelegant solution...

On a similar note, is there any way to specify strict xhtml output? I've
experimented with adding the xhtml doctype declaration but this hasn't
really affected the output of the elements,  e.g. <br/> in the stylesheet
still gets output as <br> in spite of the doctype...

If these issues can't be solved through xslt, does anyone know of a way to
edit xalan's default output (through a config file, for instance?)

regards

Andy