RE: [xsl] XSL theory questions

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSL theory questions
From: "Clapham, Paul" <pclapham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 08:25:08 -0700
1. I've used a lot of programming languages, and I can't remember any of
them (except perhaps Fortran with named Common blocks) that allowed you to
use a variable outside of the scope it was declared in.  Seems to me that
would lead to considerable difficulty in specifying the language.  For
example, what if you had two variables X that both declared themselves to be
global?  (Remember that there are <xsl:include> and <xsl:import> to
complicate this.)

2. Verbose?  That's a global function of XSL, not just of <xsl:choose>!
Anyway, many of the languages I've used provide both the if-then-else
construct and the case-when-otherwise construct, for programming
convenience, even though the latter can theoretically be simulated by nested
if-then-elses.  (In one language I used which didn't have
case-when-otherwise, I found myself coding a 45-level-deep if-then-else
clause.  Yecch.)