Re: [xsl] Special Characters in URLs

Subject: Re: [xsl] Special Characters in URLs
From: "Michael Beddow" <mbnospam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 19:40:09 +0100
As usual, Mike Brown has the encoding answers. Just to add a footnote:

> If you make the containing document utf-8 instead of iso-8859-1, you
> assume that all the escaping is UTF-8 based, and then you can convert
> misinterpreted-as-iso-8859-1 strings you get from the form data API
> to iso-8859-1 bytes and then read these bytes back into a string using
> utf-8 interpretation.

If by any chance you're using Perl and the module to receive
these queries, just make sure you have the latest versions of both Perl
5.6 and and you'll find it automagically handles all this for you
provided you let the cgi module parse and return your form data to your
script. It was the happiest day of my life when I discovered this (I
have to handle a lot of Chinese, Japanese and Korean form data coming at
me from all sorts of browsers, but this wonderful stuff makes it
completely transparent)

Michael Beddow
XML and the Humanities page: