[xsl] Including tags in an xml:variable

Subject: [xsl] Including tags in an xml:variable
From: "Huisking, Michael" <MHuisking@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 10:34:04 -0700
Hi.

Is there a way to define an xml:variable that contains tags such that the
tags themselves will literally be written out to the outfile on the
transformation?

I have an xsl file that I use to produce an fo file.  It contains several
tables that have the same column definitions and I'd like to be able to
declare the definition once and use it many times in the file.  For example:

<xsl:variable name="ColumnWidths">
<fo:table-column column-width="0.5in"/>
<fo:table-column column-width="2in"/>
<fo:table-column column-width="2in"/>
<fo:table-column column-width="0.5in"/>
<fo:table-column column-width="0.5in"/>
<fo:table-column column-width="0.5in"/>
<fo:table-column column-width="0.5in"/>
<fo:table-column column-width="0.5in"/>
</xsl:variable>

<fo:table>
  <xsl:value-of select="$ColumnWidths"/>
  <fo:table-body>
  ** OMITTED TABLE STUFF **
  </fo:table-body>
</fo:table>

  **  More Omitted Stuff **
<fo:table>
  <xsl:value-of select="$ColumnWidths"/>
  <fo:table-body>
  ** SOME OTHER TABLE STUFF HERE**
  </fo:table-body>
</fo:table>

Is something like this possible?  I haven't had any luck trying to use &lt
and &gt (they stay as the literals "&gt" and "&lt" in the output.)

Thanks in advance.

Michael Huisking
California ISO