[xsl] Re: Re: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: XPath riddle

Subject: [xsl] Re: Re: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: XPath riddle
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 09:24:43 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Wendel,

> At 01:28 PM 7/5/01, Dimitre wrote:
> >Now, if I understand you well, you want every D/C, for which the first
> >ancestor from
> >a given list of ancestors (the list of elements defining D and its child C as
> >descendents) to be "A" and nothing else.
> >
> >Then this is returned by:
> >
> >//D/C[name(ancestor::*[name()='A' or name()='F'][1])='A']
>
> Or
>
> //D/C[(ancestor::A|ancestor::F)[last()][self::A]]
>
> Grouping the two location paths ancestor::A and ancestor::F creates a node
> set to be evaluated in document order; the last() predicate selects the
> latest (deepest) of these ancestors; the self::A makes sure it's an A
> element (by throwing it out if it's not).

Yes, this only will not work in the more general case when the ancestor element
names to check for are generated "on the fly" from a schema.

Then only the second expression I gave will work:

//D/C[name(ancestor::*[contains($listOfDefiningEls, concat(' ', name()))][1])='A']

Also note, that an optimizing XPath processor will stop at the first occurence of
the above expression, while if last() is used, it will have to produce all the
nodes.

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev.