Re: [xsl] Unicode support

Subject: Re: [xsl] Unicode support
From: "alex black" <enigma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 15:40:20 -0700

> > > To be fair, it is software without *any cost* developed in people's
> > > spare time.

Which I have found to be extremely high quality, regardless of that fact :)

> I can see this is one of those clashes of philosophy that probably can't
> be resolved through a Usenet discussion. I think that people hacking on
> what they like, for fun, should have whatever attitude they like! But I
> don't expect you to agree.

Amen.

> In general, I think XML has really done an excellent job in bringing
> Unicode into the mainstream of computer science. Java's native Unicode

I agree about the Java thing, but XML really pushed unicode into the
spotlight, which I think is great.
I'm quite happy to see unicode support for building web apps, as dealing
with individual charsets is a pain in the a** :)

> support also helped to push other languages in the right direction.
PHP is a good example. Once a IS0-8859-1 bigot, PHP is rapidly moving
towards 100% utf support.

> Microsoft has even been a positive force in this direction.
*cough*yestheyhave.*cough*

:)

_a