Re: [xsl] Sorting a NodeSet Contained Within a Variable

Subject: Re: [xsl] Sorting a NodeSet Contained Within a Variable
From: Oliver Becker <obecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 13:13:36 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi Bryan,

> I have a variable that constitutes a nodeset; is it possible to sort a
> variable nodeset?

Well, you can't sort a node-set because sets are unordered. ;-)
What you can do is to process the nodes of a set in a specific order.

> I ask because I have not been able to get this to work
> (although I can sort nodesets that are not variables).

This isn't different from any other expression that evaluates to a node-set.

Just do either

<xsl:apply-templates select="$set">
   <xsl:sort .... />
</xsl:apply-templates>

or

<xsl:for-each select="$set">
   <xsl:sort .... />
</xsl:for-each>

Hope that helps,
Oliver

|  ob|do        Dipl.Inf. Oliver Becker                             |
|  --+--        E-Mail: obecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx             |
|  op|qo        WWW:    http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~obecker |