RE: [xsl] How to output a xmlns:prefix attribute (special case)

Subject: RE: [xsl] How to output a xmlns:prefix attribute (special case)
From: "Michael Kay" <mhkay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 09:21:45 +0100
> Note that you can't do
>
>   <xsd:schema targetNamespace="http://whatever.com";>
>     <xsl:copy-of select="document('')/*/namespace::prefix" />
>     <xsd:complexType name="prefix:typeName" />
>   </xsd:schema>
>
> with Saxon 6.4.2, it throws an run-time error "Cannot copy a
> namespace node
> to an element after attributes have been added". In jd.xslt,
> MSXML, and
> Xalan this works. With Saxon you can do it by using xsl:attribute

Interesting. Another case where I went to great lengths to conform to the
spec and inconvenience the user at the same time. The spec is perfectly
clear (erratum E10):
"It is an error to add a namespace node to an element ... after attributes
have been added to it; implementations may either signal the error or ignore
the namespace node."

Am I the only one who is in step?

Mike Kay
Software AG