Re: compiled stylesheets was Re: [xsl] Re: RE: creating a string of repeated charactors

Subject: Re: compiled stylesheets was Re: [xsl] Re: RE: creating a string of repeated charactors
From: "cutlass" <cutlass@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 11:41:18 +0100
yes, this code generation technique is very useful ( in generating source
code in SQL, scripting languages, cold fusion c, c++, and java  the list
goes on.... ), and solves the language independance problem by having a
simple transform for each language from a standard meta data format, which
includes the xslt logic.

for compiled stylesheets to be adopted we have to recognize that any
dependancies ( on particular parser extension, or javascript etc) will be
'magnified'  once stylesheet has been compiled, which is a further arguement
for standardized extension conventions, though a smarter compiler could
infer the differences.

a) generate meta data for stylesheet compilation
b) have language dependant compilers that take meta data and compile down

the next logic branching is do we want a standard to include a breakdown
between standalone ( ie the compiled bit of code can execute transforms all
by its lonesome ) or assoc runtime with them.

cheers, jim