Re: [xsl] newline white space

Subject: Re: [xsl] newline white space
From: Jeni Tennison <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 18:39:13 +0100
Hi Lisa,

> I'm having some trouble with newline white space. I fixed this once
> before but can't remember for the life of me how!
>
> The XML looks like this:
> graph.</p>

The problem is that this XML has a line break in it after the lb
element, so the tree looks like:

+- (element) p
   +- (text) This is a para
   +- (element) hyphen
   +- (element) lb
   +- (text) &#xA;graph.

You may want to just normalise all the text nodes to get rid of the
problem:

<xsl:template match="text()">
  <xsl:value-of select="normalize-space()" />
</xsl:template>

or perhaps only those that have an lb element as their
immediately-preceding sibling.

> Ideally, there would not be a <hyphen/> tag, but &#x00AD;, but I
> couldn't figure out how to do that either.

If you have:

graph.</p>

Then you need to check whether the last character of the text node
before the lb element is a '&#xAD;' character to decide what to do.
You can get that last character using the substring() function:

<xsl:template match="lb">
  <xsl:variable name="text" select="preceding-sibling::text()[1]" />
  <xsl:if test="substring($text, string-length($text)) != '&#xAD;'">
    <fo:inline>
      <xsl:text> </xsl:text><xsl:apply-templates />
    </fo:inline>
  </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

(BTW, there's no point in applying templates in the lb element if it's
an empty element, as it seems to be in your example.)

I hope that helps,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison