Re: [xsl] Multiple Sorting

Subject: Re: [xsl] Multiple Sorting
From: "Steve Muench" <Steve.Muench@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 21:36:37 -0700
| <xsl:for-each select="addressbook/contact" order-by="+lastname">

I'm guessing this is the Microsoft IE5 "WD-XSL" dialect of XSL...

| My question is, is it possible to order the data by <lastname> and then by
| <firstname> from the same XSL stylesheet?

Using XSLT 1.0 you would do:

  <xsl:for-each select="select="addressbook/contact">
    <xsl:sort select="lastname"/>
    <xsl:sort select="firstname"/>

    <!-- template to repeat here -->

  </xsl:for-each>

The <xsl:sort> defaults to sorting ascending by string value
but you can change this with additional attributes.

For example, to sort descending by numerical value, you would do:

  <xsl:sort select="salary" data-type="number" order="descending"/>