Re[2]: [xsl] This can't be right, XML with no root element: Saxon & XT vs. Xalan

Subject: Re[2]: [xsl] This can't be right, XML with no root element: Saxon & XT vs. Xalan
From: "Michael R. Hahn" <sgml.xml@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:04:28 -0400
Hi, David:

DC> Hmm yes I know. Unfortunately I can't reconstruct my state of mind
DC> at the time I wrote my previous reply..... However what is true is
DC> that in XML, anything referenced by &xxx; is a chunk of XML.

This discussion caught my eye this morning, mostly because so far no
one has actually said they tried it.  So I did...

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE test [
<!ENTITY test SYSTEM "test.entity" >
<!ELEMENT test (#PCDATA) >
]>
<test>&test;</test>

test.entity:

<?xml encoding="UTF-8"?>
This is a test.

Xerces-C, Xerces-J, SP, MSXML3, ElCel's validator, RXP, and the Oracle
parser all declared this valid (any parsers I didn't use simply
weren't available on this machine).

REC-xml-20001006 says an external parsed entity consists of an
optional text declaration followed by content (production 78); content
may consist of character data (production 20).

So it appears to me that anything referenced by &xxx; *might* just be
character data.

Have I missed a subsequent erratum?