RE: [xsl] Creating page breaks in XSLT

Subject: RE: [xsl] Creating page breaks in XSLT
From: "DuCharme, Bob (LNG)" <robert.ducharme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:02:33 -0400
>I am creating an invoice and wanted to know about controlling the page
>breaks in XSLT.  I want to be able to set the page break, so when
>printing out the invoice, the heading will appear on the top of each
>page with the results below the heading. Any suggestions would be
>greatly appreciated.

XSLT is used to convert XML documents into other documents, whether those
target documents are in XML or another format. For your particular target
format, check how page breaks are created, and have your XSLT stylesheets
add that to the output. For example, if you're creating FO files for
processing by an XSL formatting engine such as FOP, the XSL spec shows ways
to force page breaks at certain text blocks.

If your target format is HTML, you're out of luck--it has no mechanism for
creating page breaks, because HTML is about creating pages for viewing with
browsers, not pages for printing, so there's no concept of page breaks.

Bob DuCharme            www.snee.com/bob             <bob@
snee.com>      see http://www.snee.com/bob/xsltquickly for
info on new book "XSLT Quickly" from Manning Publications.