[xsl] Four quick questions about Xalan (in JAXP 1.1)

Subject: [xsl] Four quick questions about Xalan (in JAXP 1.1)
From: Joel Beach <j.beach@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2001 10:12:47 +1000
Hi,

Four questions I wanted to ask...

1. What version of Xalan is used in JAXP 1.1. Are there performance improvements to be had over this version, and how does one plug in a new version of Xalan for use within JAXP (still want to use Trax API...)

2. How good is the Crimson parser from Sun? How would one use Xerces an the JAXP 1.1 parser (again using Trax API).

3. If you have a complicated XPath expression ( conjunction of 9 or 10 XPath expressions ), is it quicker to do the following

<xsl:apply-templates select="descendant::XMLNode[ Complicated XPath expression ]"/>

or to have an <xsl:if> within the XMLNode template?

ie.

<xsl:template match="XMLNode">
<xsl:if test="Complicated XPath expression">
	<!-- Match XML Node -->
</xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

4. Can someone explain the differences between DOM/Stream/SAX Sources/Results....I imagine if you're only really doing one transformation (i.e not concatenating), you'd always want to use StreamResult....is this right?

I understand the differences between DOM and SAX, but am not really sure what a DOM/SAXSource is, and whether the performance of SAX is still better than DOM. (I imagine XSLT involves a lot of tree traversal and node matching, and am wondering whether a DOMSource, with its tree-like Object Model, would be quicker for this than SAX).

Thanks everyone....

Joel