[xsl] Whitespace in XSL not appearing if method="xml"

Subject: [xsl] Whitespace in XSL not appearing if method="xml"
From: "Eliyahu Hershfeld" <eliyahu.hershfeld@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 10:12:50 -0500
Hi,
My XSL has &#160; and <xsl:text>&#160;</xsl:text> in a few places.
I would like these to appear as &#160; in the output.
When I do a transform using <xsl:output method="xml"> I just get an empty space instead of &#160;
When I use <xsl:output method="html"> I get the &nbsp;  (in this case it shows up even if I don't use the <xsl:text>&#160;</xsl:text> tags to wrap it )but all br tags appear as <br> and not <br/>.
Since this output is going to be XSL (I am doing an xsl to xsl transform using xsl namespace-alias) the output has to be valid xml (meaning that the <br> tag is not acceptable nor is &nbsp;).
I am using Xalan for the transform.
Thanks
PS Yes I read up all the FAQs on the subject (there are a lot)

--

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.