RE: [xsl] Capitalizing content of a variable

Subject: RE: [xsl] Capitalizing content of a variable
From: Mark Nahabedian <naha@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 10:54:15 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Tony Graham writes:
 > Johannes =?iso-8859-1?Q?D=F6bler?= wrote at  9 Aug 2001 16:34:14 +0200:
 >  > but its still possible (don't say I'm cheating):
 >  > <xsl:script implements-prefix ="string" language="java"
 >  > src="java.lang.String"/>
 >
 > I would be surprised if you could use this to uppercase Armenian
 > (added to Unicode in Version 3.0) or Deseret (added in 3.1).

At the risk of straying off-topic:

I din't know what Unicode 3.0 says about Armenian, but the language
has a one to one mapping between upper and lower case.

I'm surprised that the German ß is treated as a character rather than
a ligature used in typesetting.  Does a German type "ss" or do they
have a special "ß" key?  When school children recite the German
alphabet do they include "ß".  My point is, should "ß" be modeled as a
character in language text or just as a typsetting convention to be
employed in printed output?