RE: [xsl] Currency Localization

Subject: RE: [xsl] Currency Localization
From: "Tim Watts" <timw@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 15:23:03 +1000
Goetz, and All,

The list has now grown from 73 currencies to 161 currencies (although
information on several is still a bit patchy or has conflicting values.

If anyone would like a copy, please email me at timw@xxxxxxx

Thanks for all your help in compiling it. :)

> While you (this whole list and who ever contrubutes/-ed) are at it, what
> about creating an XML file with currencies, like it has been done and
> include the information of allowed fractions (mills of USD) AND include
> infromation about available coins/bills.
> And than we could also add subunits: cent for dollar, or pfennig for DM.

That project would probably be beyond the purpose of localization of
currency display.

The initial purpose I see for the XML would be to display prices in local
currency, in a format that the user in familiar with, so I can't see that
coin/bill would be useful for this purpose, and as you said,

> allows for additional information like uncommon (at the bank you've to
> ask for it and if youre lucky you get some), deprecated (no longer in
> use, in this case an additional attribute like @since would
> be cool. But
> this would lead to inclusion of the full history of a
> currency and this
> is definitely more work than anyone wants to do/needs (just designing
> the DTD might be a lot of work already))

But I like the idea of adding sub-units and language attributes for the
currency ...

> <currencies>
>   <currency iso="DEM" short="DM" decimals="2" decimal-separator=","
>    grouping-separator="." currency-placement="after">
>     <name xml:lang="us">German Marks</name>
>     <name xml:lang="de">Deutsche Mark</name>
>     <small short="Pf" value="0.01">
>       <name xml:lang="de">Pfennig</name>
>     </small>
>   <currency>
> <currencies>

(Although I think you will find that "us" isn't a language - prehaps you
meant "en-US"

> Unforunately this has nothing to do with XSL-T anymore :-((.

True. Thanks everyone for tolerating these off topic posts... This will be
my last on this topic,

Regards,

Tim Watts