RE: [xsl] The Match Game vs The Name Game

Subject: RE: [xsl] The Match Game vs The Name Game
From: "Evan Lenz" <elenz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 13:00:13 -0700
The only time the match attribute is ever significant is when
xsl:apply-templates is called (explicitly or from the built-in template
rules). The only time the name attribute is ever significant is when
xsl:call-template is called (only explicitly). The remaining attribute that
you can use is mode, which is only ever significant when there is a match
attribute (and when xsl:apply-templates is called).

In conclusion, named templates and template rules have orthogonal
functionality. No conflicts result from overloading a template for both. In
other words, adding a match attribute to a named template won't break
xsl:call-template, and adding a name attribute to a template rule won't
break xsl:apply-templates.

Hope this helps,

Evan Lenz
XYZFind Corp.