Re: [xsl] Namespace Identifiers - URI, URN, URL?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Namespace Identifiers - URI, URN, URL?
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:38:43 +0100
> Thanks for the reply. This might be one of the great unsolved mysteries, but
> isn't it confusing since "'xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xsl"; does not

it is a real URL it is just that a URL may refer to any kind of
resource, not just a web page. Note though that is the _wrong_ URL.
As mentioned in the earlier replies, the URL (URI) for the XSLT namespace is
http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform

the one you gave is for an entirely different Microsoft-specific
language which is not the subject of this list.

> Just wondering why the W3 couldn't use
> something else that doesn't start with "http"..

they could, but they don't as using http URI with a domain name that you
control is the easiest way to allocate yourself a globally unique
identifier.

> Ohh...so I do not need the <?xml ... > declaration in the stylesheets? Quick
> side question; does having that cause any problems?

that's an XMl question not an XSL one, an XML declaration is never
required by the XMl parser if the file is in UTF-8 or UTF-16 encoding
(but adding one does no harm) and it is always required if the file is
not in one of those encodings.

David